Richard J. Hollawell Bio
Richard J. Hollawell
NJ‚ PA‚ and NY Personal Injury Attorney
Richard Hollawell is a partner in one of New Jersey and Pennsylvania’s most successful personal injury law firms‚ Console & Hollawell. Since joining the firm in 2007‚ he has used his experience‚ knowledge‚ and tenacity to fight hard for his clients‚ and to see that justice is served. He focuses on personal injury cases‚ and the related field of insurance bad faith litigation‚ which is holding insurance companies responsible when they act in bad faith towards policyholders.
Knowledge of the Insurance Industry
When it comes to knowing the ins and outs of how the insurance industry operates‚ Mr. Hollawell has first-hand experience. Prior to and while obtaining his law degree‚ he worked as an insurance claims adjuster at two of the nation’s largest property and casualty insurance companies. His responsibilities included investigating‚ negotiating‚ and settling personal injury claims that were presented against the company’s policyholders. Mr. Hollawell knows how insurance adjusters think‚ knows the games they play to limit payouts‚ and knows that insurance companies are not on your side. That insight allows him to get the best results for his clients.
Richard Hollawell received his Bachelor’s Degree in Finance from Fordham University in 1990‚ and his law degree from Widener University School of Law in 2001. At Fordham‚ Mr. Hollawell’s hard work and competitive spirit earned him the Fordham University Presidential Scholarship‚ and the Vincent Lombardi Memorial Award for Leadership and Athletic Achievement. At Fordam he served as the captain of the football team and was a two-time All American. He is licensed to practice law in New Jersey‚ Pennsylvania‚ and New York.
In 2005‚ Mr. Hollawell joined another law firm in Philadelphia‚ where he continued his work litigating personal injury cases in both New Jersey and Pennsylvania while adding another specialty to his practice‚ insurance bad faith litigation. He successfully handled countless cases for his clients involving medical malpractice‚ product liability‚ auto accidents and‚ premise liability. He also successfully represented clients in contract disputes against their insurance companies litigating disputes due to wrongful handling of disability‚ homeowners‚ health and automobile insurance claims. In 2007‚ Mr. Hollawell became a member of our firm.
Throughout his career‚ Mr. Hollawell has obtained millions of dollars for clients from settlements and verdicts in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. In the past year‚ these include:
- A $1‚650‚000 settlement after a three week trial for a client who was fatally prescribed escalating doses of narcotic medication
- A $900‚000 settlement achieved through mediation where a minor client sustained severe and permanent foot and ankle injuries after being run over by a forklift.
- A $925,000 dram shop settlement against the bar that overserved a driver on behalf of two clients who sustained serious injuries as passengers in the car accident. The dram shop settlement brought the total compensation for these clients $1,100,000.
- A New Jersey Supreme Court decision in the case of Augustine W. Badiali v. New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance Group that could bring about major changes for NJ policyholders who have to sue their own insurance companies for benefits under their policies. Mr. Hollawell appeared in front of the Supreme Court, the highest court in the state, to argue the case in September 2014, and the Justices issued their opinion in February 2015.
Some other notable cases‚ just in the past year handled by Mr. Hollawell were a $450‚000 settlement via mediation for a client in a car accident that sustained internal injuries that required surgery. In addition there was a $443‚000 arbitration award for a client who was in a car accident that suffered a disc herniation that required surgical intervention.
- 2011 SJ Magazine Top Lawyers (as chosen by their peers)
- 2012 SJ Magazine Top Attorneys in South Jersey
- 2012 South Jersey Magazine Awesome Attorneys
- 2013 SJ Magazine Top Attorneys
- 2014 South Jersey Biz Best Attorneys in the Biz
Mr. Hollawell currently resides in Southern New Jersey with his wife, daughter, and son. In his spare time he enjoys playing golf and traveling with his wife.
If you’ve recently been injured in an accident and need someone to tackle complex legal issues—someone who knows the ins and outs of the insurance industry‚ will manage your case ethically and honestly‚ and will personally commit to winning — contact Pennsylvania and New Jersey personal injury lawyers Console & Hollawell today at (856) 778-5500 to schedule a free consultation.
To contact Mr. Hollawell, email: firstname.lastname@example.org